MAX17852, a 14-channel high-voltage ASIL-D data-acquisition system from Maxim Integrated enables designers to deliver a high level of safety for voltage, current, temperature, and communications while also saving space and reducing solution cost. Designed for integration within electric vehicles, hybrid electric vehicles, and other transportation systems, this new IC is ideal for smart junction box, 48V, and other automotive battery systems with voltages up to 400V and above.
The MAX17852 IC comes with an integrated current sense amplifier that offers up to 16 percent space savings and up to 20 percent cost savings. This small, cost-effective IC allows a typical cell voltage measurement of ±0.45mV at room temperature and a maximum of ±2mV error in a temperature range of 5 degrees to 40 degrees celsius, thereby enabling car OEMs to attain most mileage range out of their batteries.
The new IC has a current sense amplifier capability of ±300mV, gain setting up to 256 times, and 0.3 percent current sense gain error. It allows both hall effect sensor and shunt resistors to be used as sensing components.
Key Advantages of MAX17852 IC include
- Highest Safety: ASIL-D rating for voltage, current, temperature, and communication enhances safety
- Highest Accuracy: Measurement accuracy with best current sense amplifier gain error to allow accurate, time-aligned current measurements to potentially boost mileage
- Smaller Size: High integration enables up to 16 percent smaller size than a discrete solution to save board space
- Lower Cost: Integrated current sense amplifier provides up to 20 percent cost savings
- Versatility: The first device that can be adapted to many applications with voltage, current, and temperature sensing
The MAX17852 is available from the company website for $7.52 (1000-up, FOB USA) and also from authorized distributors. You can also get the MAX17852EVKIT# evaluation kit by shelling out $250.