Vishay Intertechnology launched two new Automotive Grade power metal plate current sense resistors comes in 2W and 3W power ratings and resistance range from 5 mΩ to 500 mΩ in 2010- and 2512-sized packages. The resistors are aimed at current sensing and pulse applications in power supplies, instruments, power amplifiers, shunts, power inverters, and battery management circuitry thus the new WFM resistors allow designers to use a single high power resistor instead of running multiple resistors in parallel, which can cause current measurement errors. The WFM improves power density additionally promoting space savings on the circuit board that will in turn enable smaller and lighter products for the end consumer.
The WFM devices offer construction that incorporates an improved thermal management design utilizing a copper heat spreader which leads to 2 W and 3 W resistors in the 2010 and 2512 package sizes that maintain the superior electrical characteristics of the power metal plate construction. The devices are made to operate in temperature range from (-65 °C) to (+170 °C). The WFM devices are AEC-Q200 qualified, RoHS-compliant, halogen-free, and Vishay Green.
Features of WFM resistors
- 2010 and 2512 size package
- Ideal for all types of current sensing and pulse applications including switching and linear power supplies, instruments, power amplifiers, shunts, power inverters and battery management
- Proprietary processing technique produces low resistance values (5 mΩ to 500 mΩ)
- Solid metal manganese-copper and nickelchromium-aluminum alloy resistive element with low TCR (< 20 ppm/ºC)
- Very low inductance 0.5 nH to 5 nH
- Excellent frequency response to 50 MHz
- Low thermal EMF (< 3 μV/°C)
- AEC-Q200 qualified
Samples and production quantities of the WFM resistors are available now, with lead times of six to eight weeks for larger orders from Vishay and its Distributors.