Renesas Electronics released ISL71043M plastic-packaged radiation-tolerant PWM controller and ISL71040M Gallium Nitride (GaN) FET driver for DC/DC power supplies in small satellites (smallsats) and launch vehicles. The ISL71043M is a single-ended current mode PWM controller, whereas ISL71040M is a low-side GaN FET driver giving size and cost optimized power supply solution for large constellations of smallsats. Apart from this the devices are ideal for isolated flyback and half-bridge power stages, and motor control driver circuits in satellite buses and payloads.
The PWM controller ISL71043M and GaN FET driver ISL71040M can be integrated with the ISL73024SEH 200V GaN FET or ISL73023SEH 100V GaN FET, and ISL71610M passive-input digital isolator to form a variety of power stage configurations. Both devices are characterization tested for single event effects (SEE) at a linear energy transfer (LET) of 43 MeV.cm2/mg and at a total ionizing doze (TID) of up to 30 krads(Si) with extended temperature range of -55°C to +125°C. With just a small size of 4mm x 5mm SOIC plastic package, the ISL71043M PWM controller reduces PCB area up to 3x compared to competitive ceramic packages, whereas the ISL71040M safely drives Renesas’s rad-hard GaN FETs in isolated topologies and boost type configurations with floating protection circuitry to eliminate unintentional switching.
Key Features of ISL71043M PWM Controller
- Operating supply range of 9V to 13.2V
- 5.5mA (max) operating supply current
- ±3% current limit threshold
- Integrated 1A MOSFET gate driver
- 35ns rise and fall times with 1nF output load
- 1.5MHz bandwidth error amplifier
Key Features of ISL71040M Low Side GaN FET Driver
- Operating supply range of 4.5V to 13.2V
- Internal 4.5V regulated gate drive voltage
- Independent outputs to adjust rise and fall time
- High 3A/2.8A sink/source capability
- 4.3ns rise/3.7ns fall times with 1nF output load
- Internal undervoltage lockout (UVLO) on the gate driver
The ISL71043M radiation-tolerant PWM controller comes in an 8-lead 4mm x 5mm SOIC package, whereas the ISL71040M radiation-tolerant low-side GaN FET driver comes in an 8-lead 4mm x 4mm TDFN package and both are available now.