With the release of highly integrated motor control ICs and starter kits, Renesas aims to simplify safe and power-efficient sensor-less brushless DC motor control design for industrial and home appliances. The new RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 system-in-package (SiP) solutions can help improve motor efficiency by 35%, reduce board size by up to half, and accelerate motor control application development.
These devices deliver improved low-speed or high-speed rotation and high torque control compared to the competitive solutions while minimizing required board space and reducing solution cost. This results in a turnkey design for easy, efficient, and safe BLDC motor control.
The RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 Motor control ICs are single-package motor control ICs that control three-phase BLDC motors used in a wide range of battery-powered devices. These ICs integrate an RL78/G1F microcontroller (MCU) and pre-driver into an 8x8mm QFN package. Besides, their highly integrated SiP form factor allows users to eliminate as many as 30 external components shrinking the solution area by up to 50% and with lower control system costs.
Designed with a self-aligned dead time (SADT), these ICs prevent the shoot through and offer adjustable pre-driver output current capacity up to 500mA. This helps driving large-capacity MOSFETs making heat dissipation design easier and allows the MOSFETs to drive at the switching timing thereby reducing FET switching margin times to approximately 1/10 the time compared with conventional systems.
Key Features of RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 Motor Control ICs
- Renesas MCU and pre-driver integrated into a single 8x8 mm QFN package, including a charge pump, linear regulators, current detection, programmable slew rate control, and BEMF detect circuitry for sensor-less operation
- High integration optimizes board space and reduces control system BOM costs
- Supports operating ranges from 6-30V (RAJ306001) and 6-42V (RAJ306010)
- SADT generator allows MOSFETs to run cooler while maintaining high efficiency
- Sensor-less motor control enables stable operation from low-speed to high-speed rotation and could eliminate the Hall ICs
- Integrated safety functions, including IEC 60730 safety standard support, can detect errors and halt the motor if an error occurs.
Additionally, a new Renesas Solution Starter Kit (RSSK) is also available for developers working on a motor control solution using the RAJ306010 ICs. This kit features a complete evaluation environment that includes a development board, motor, and reference firmware, offering easy motor control debugging. This enables customers to immediately begin evaluating their motor control design, executing real-time analysis and tuning to accelerate development. The RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 Motor Control ICs and RAJ306010 RSSK are available now from Renesas’ worldwide distributors.