The Renesas Electronics Corporation has announced the ISL70005SEH, a synchronous buck and low dropout (LDO) regulators for low-power FPGAs, DDR memory and other digital loads for spaceflight payload applications. The ISL70005SEH is a point-of-load (POL) power solution that reduces size, weight, and power (SWaP) by integrating a synch buck and LDO in a single monolithic IC. Using the device helps the satellite manufacturers to reduce the bill of materials (BOM) and power supply footprint for their medium Earth orbit (MEO) and geosynchronous Earth orbit (GEO) long-duration satellites missions.
This new dual-output POL regulator provides 95 percent high efficiency using the synch buck regulator and the low 75mV dropout LDO regulator. The regulator has better thermal management for the devices with 3.3V or 5V power buses and supports 3A continuous output load current for the buck regulator and ±1A for the LDO. The buck regulator uses a voltage mode control architecture and switches at a resistor adjustable frequency of 100kHz to 1MHz, enabling a smaller filter size.
Features of ISL70005SEH
- Synchronous buck Vin range of 3V to 5.5V
- LDO Vin range of 600mV + VDO to Vcc-1.5V
- 1% reference voltage accuracy
- Separate VIN, enable, soft-start and power good indicator
- LDO stable with 150µF; 3x less output capacitance than competitive solutions
- Full military temperature range of -55°C to +150°C
- No single event latch-up (SEL) and single event burnout (SEB)
- Single event transients (SETs) have been characterized at a LET range of 8.5 to 86MeV∗cm2/mg
- Flexible LDO can source and sink current and accept input voltages as low as 775mV to reduce unnecessary power dissipation
- Tested to 100krad(Si) over high dose rate (HDR) and tested for ELDRS up to 75krad(Si) over low dose rate (LDR)
The designers can use the space-grade ISL70005SEH as a dual output regulator, DDR memory power solution or high-efficiency low noise regulator for RF applications because they have a simple design configuration. For more information, visit the official website of the Renesas Electronics Corporation.