The New MAX77654 single inductor, multiple-output (SIMO) power management IC (PMIC) from Maxim Integrated Product Inc, can help the designers of compact consumer devices to reduce the size of their solution by half with 20% higher battery life. The New PMIC delivers up to 3 outputs with just one inductor at 91 percent efficiency in a 19mm2 solution size, which is a 16% greater efficiency and 50% smaller solution when compared with the traditional solutions.
The MAX77654 SIMO PMIC achieved this small size by replacing 3 buck converter, 3 inductors with single converter and single inductor along with the replacement of 3 LDOs/ load-switches, a battery charger, and additional passives. The device has a shutdown current of 500nA and a supply current of 6µA with 5 regulators operating, with this the device yields 7 times lower heat dissipation and reduces the board temperature by more than 20°C when compared to discrete solutions.
The SIMO PMIC provides superior output voltage ripple performance of less than 20mVp-p for noise-sensitive rails. The smaller solution size allows the designers to load more functionality to their applications such as wearables, hearables, and other compact consumer devices when compared to using traditional power solutions
Features of MAX77654 IC
- 3x Output, Single-Inductor Multiple-Output (SIMO) Buck-Boost Regulator that Supports Wide Output Voltage Range from 0.8V to 5.5V for all SIMO Channels
- 0.3μA Shutdown Current
- 6μA Operating Current (3 SIMO Channels + 2 LDOs)
- Programmable Fast-Charge Current from 7.5mA to 300mA
- Programmable Battery Regulation Voltage from 3.6V to 4.6V
- I2C-Compatible Interface and GPIO
- 6.52mm2 Wafer-Level Package (WLP)
The MAX77654 is available at Maxim Integrated's website for $2.00 (1000-up, FOB USA), also available from authorized distributors.