Renesas Electronics Corporation introduced a highly integrated Power Management IC (PMIC), ISL78083 that simplifies power supply design HD camera modules by reducing the development cycle, bill of materials (BOM) cost, and supply chain risks. The PMIC can accept the power from a battery (36V- 42V) or power-over-coax (15-18V) supply sources and supports output currents up to 750mA per output. This power level offers ample headroom for existing image sensors up to 7-mega pixel and future sensors with even higher resolution.
Features of ISL78083 PMIC
- The input voltage of 4V to 42V supports power-over-coax or direct from a 12V battery power source.
- Three buck regulators provide programmable output ranges from 1V to 5.05V, and the LDO supports 2.8V to 3.4V.
- 2.2MHz switching frequency avoids AM band interference and shrinks the required output capacitance and inductance.
- An optional spread spectrum feature addresses EMC/EMI interference challenges
- Wettable flank package improves the reliability of solder connections and enables optical inspection of solder joints for lower-cost manufacturing.
- AEC-Q100 Grade-1 qualified for ambient operation from -40°C to +125°C, and junction temperature from -40°C to +150°C
The 4-channel ISL78083 automotive camera PMIC includes other features such as a primary high-voltage synchronous buck regulator, two secondary low-voltage synchronous buck regulators, a low-dropout (LDO) voltage regulator, four overvoltage (OV) and four undervoltage (UV) monitors, three power-good indicators and a reset output/fault indicator.
It also has integrated feedback and integrated compensation, all that is left to complete the high-efficiency power supply is the output inductor and capacitors. ISL78083 reduces the requirement of 7-10 external components compared to other competing solutions. Mass production quantities of the ISL78083 automotive camera PMIC are available now in a 4mm x 4mm, 24-lead SCQFN wettable flank package. For more information about ISL78083 and the evaluation board, visit the official website of the Renesas Electronics Corporation.