Renesas’s RAA271050 synchronous buck pre-regulator and RAA271000 safe seven-channel PMIC together can reduce power loss, system cost, and design time in systems based on the R-Car V3H system-on-chip (SoC) for advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) automotive front cameras and driver monitor cameras.
42V RAA271050 synchronous buck pre-regulator accepts the vehicle’s 12V supply and steps it down to an intermediate supply voltage of 3.3V or 5.0V. The other device, RAA271000 General Purpose seven-channel PMIC (power management IC), then takes the RAA271050’s output and steps it down further to the various supply voltages needed by R-Car V3H and its peripherals such as LPDDR4 memory.
This complete power and functional safety solution provide best-in-class efficiency, with power loss reductions of up to 33% compared to competitive PMICs. Lower power loss enables operation at higher temperatures, reducing cooling costs and delivering better reliability. Both the devices match R-Car requirements with no unnecessary overhead, reducing component cost and PCB area. These can support system safety requirements up to ASIL D and are developed per the ISO-26262 standard. The solution provides supply voltages with the current capability to meet all power specifications in R-Car V3H including sequence, voltage accuracy, and load step response. The solution provides all the necessary power and digital monitoring functions providing optimum safety.
Key Features of the R-Car V3H Power Solution
- Programmable Output Voltage, Sequencing, I/O Configuration and Safety Configuration providing flexibility to support R-CAR V3H and an expansive range of SoCs
- Integrated 12-bit SAR ADC with up to 16 external inputs monitors internal and external signals, eliminating the need for an added system ADC
- Dynamic Voltage Frequency Scaling (DVFS) adjusts output voltage to minimize power consumption
- Optional Spread Spectrum Clocking mitigates EMI
- Built-in Support for R-Car V3H SoC Activation streamlines SoC self-test procedures
The devices RAA271050 and RAA271000 are included in a complete ADAS front camera solution featuring the EagleCam camera module from LUPA-Electronics GmbH and R-Car V3H and R-Car V3M system-on-chip (SoC) devices. This combination is an open, turnkey solution that delivers flexible, high-performance perception while shortening time to market and reducing the bill of materials (BOM) cost.
The RAA271050 is offered in a 22-lead, 4x4mm QFN package, and the RAA271000 comes in a 60-ball FCBGA package with 0.8mm pitch. Both the devices are expected to be fully available in July 2021.