Renesas Electronics released its high performance RZ/G2 ARM MPUs series with more than 10 years of Linux Kernel Support and advanced security features. The four RZ/G2 MPU variants comes with 64-bit Arm Cortex-A57, Arm Cortex-A53 and two-six-eight cores with its new improved on-chip 3D graphic functions. By keeping eye on needs of developers, the four new RZ/G2 MPUs are supported by the Renesas RZ/G Linux Platform and offers 10 years of Linux Kernel Platform Support. The RZ/G2 Group will come with On-Chip 3D graphics engine, H.264 and H.265 codec support, HDMI, LVDS and MIPI-CSI2 camera input interfaces.
The RZ/G2 MPUs are loaded with high Performance 64-bit MPUs, error checking and correction(ECC) protection on both internal and external memories and a comprehensive set of integrated interfaces such as USB3.0, SATA, QSPI and eMMC gigabit. The RZ/G2 also features full Verified Linux Package(VLP) with a Civil infrastructure Platform(CIP) bundled with software development environment which enables safety, security and reliability for both software and hardware. The RG/G2 supports new 64-bit Arm CIP Kernel and will serve as the reference hardware for Arm64 for the certification and release of CIP packages in future.
The key highlights of RZ/G2 launch
- Up to 2.7 times the CPU processing performance compare to its preceding RZ/G1 group build with 64-bit Arm cortex-A57 and Cortex-A53.
- Support for the latest high-speed protocols for external memories including LPDDR4 or DDR3L up to 3200 MT/s.
- Interface support of USB3.0, SATA, PCI-e, QSPI and eMMC gigabit for fast communication.
- ECC on all internal and external memory interfaces for all devices in the group.
- Super long term support and security maintenance of Linux Kernel for more than 10 years.
- Comes with complete VLP and verification test software and GUI framework with support for HTML5, Qt, 3D graphics, H.264/H.265 video and security fucntions.
In terms of availability, the official release has confirmed that the all RZ/G2 MPUs will be available in four devices- RZ/G2E, RZ/G2N, RZ/G2M and RZ/G2H. In terms of ordering sample then sample shipments of the six-core RZ/G2M and two-core RZ/G2E are available now. The other MPU models will be released in upcoming time. The mass production of MPUs will start in Quarter-1 of 2020.