Newt introduced by Phambili is a battery-powered, always-on, wall-mountable display powered by an ESP32-S2 microcontroller that you can program with Arduino, CircuitPython, MicroPython, or ESP-IDF. This low-power, open source, 2.7-inch IoT display can go online to retrieve weather, calendars, sports scores, to-do lists, quotes, and almost anything on the Internet and features SHARP's Memory-in-Pixel (MiP) screen technology.
The MiP technology takes the low power consumption and daylight readability of E-Ink screens and combines them with the crispness and sub-millisecond refresh rates of OLED displays. This device was designed to operate "untethered," which means you can mount it in places where a power cord would be inconvenient like on a wall, refrigerator, mirror, or dry-erase board.
Key Features of Newt
- Espressif ESP32-S2-WROVER Module with 4 MB flash and 2 MB PSRAM
- Wi-Fi capable
- Supports Arduino, MicroPython, CircuitPython, and ESP-IDF
- Deep sleep current as low as 25 uA
- 2.7-inch, 240 x 400 pixel MiP LCD
- Capable of delivering high-contrast, high-resolution, low-latency content with ultra-low power consumption
- Reflective mode leverages ambient light to eliminate the need for a backlight
- Micro Crystal RV-3028-C7 RTC
- Optimized for extreme low-power consumption (45 nA)
- Able to simultaneously manage a periodic timer, a countdown timer, and an alarm
- Hardware interrupt for timers and alarms
- 43 bytes of non-volatile user memory, 2 bytes of user RAM
- Separate UNIX time counter
- USB Type-C connector for programming, power, and charging
- Low-quiescence voltage regulator (TOREX XC6220) that can output 1 A of current and operate as low as 8 uA
Each Newt is pre-loaded with custom firmware, which provides the following functionality out-of-the-box like alarms, timers, current weather information, daily and hourly weather forecasts, inspirational quotes, air-quality forecasts, and a habit calendar. Moreover, Newt is open source, and all design files and libraries are available for review, use, and modification.