Renesas Electronics Corporation has announced the new RZ/N2L microprocessor units (MPUs) for Industrial Ethernet communication that make it easy to add network functionality to industrial equipment and devices. The RZ/N2L complies with many industry-standard specifications and protocols to facilitate the development of industrial automation devices that require real-time capabilities. These new products support the increasingly popular Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) Ethernet standard that ensures real-time communication.
Equipped with an integrated TSN-compliant 3-port Gigabit Ethernet switch and an EtherCAT slave controller, these new devices support all major industrial network communication protocols, such as EtherCAT, PROFINET RT, EtherNet/IP, and OPC UA, along with the new PROFINET IRT. The RZ/N2L has both parallel and serial host interfaces that connect to the host CPU for external applications. This allows direct connection between the RZ/N2L and the CPU for high-speed access. Moreover, the external CPU can directly access communication data stored in the system RAM of the RZ/N2L.
These MPUs are built around the Arm Cortex-R52 with a maximum operating frequency of 400 MHz and integrate large capacity ECC RAM and peripheral functions such as a delta-sigma interface, A/D converter, and PWM timer, allowing it to be used as a standalone device to develop applications such as remote I/O, sensor hubs, and inverters. The UART and CAN functions enable the RZ/N2L to serve as a gateway for converting from a Fieldbus based on RS485 or CAN to Industrial Ethernet.
- CPU: Arm Cortex-R52, maximum operating frequency 400MHz
- Tightly coupled memory 256KB (with ECC)
- Internal RAM 1.5MB (with ECC)
- 3 external ports with Gigabit support
- TSN support (IEEE 802.1AS-2020, IEEE 802.1Qbv/802.3br, IEEE 802.1Qbu, etc.)
- Network redundancy support (DLR, PRP)
- EtherCAT slave controller
- Industrial Ethernet: EtherCAT, PROFINET RT/IRT, EtherNet/IP, OPC UA, etc.
- Host I/F (parallel/serial/Dual/Quad/Octa)
- Memory I/F (Octa-/Quad SPI/HyperRAM/HyperFLASH/SRAM/SDRAM)
- PWM timer: up to 60ch (3-phase complementary output supported)
- Trigonometric function accelerator