STMicroelectronics has revealed a new automotive high-side switch controller VNF1048F that combines enhanced system-protection and diagnostic features with ST’s I2-t silicon-fuse technology. This new controller is compatible with 12V, 24V, and 48V automotive power subsystems and is ideal for the latest automotive zonal electronic/electrical (E/E) architectures that boost efficiency and reliability while supporting increased electrification and extra functions for smart driving.
This controller has a serial peripheral interface (SPI) for a host microcontroller to configure and monitor system-protection and diagnostic features. These include under-voltage and over-temperature protection, thermal protection for the external high-side MOSFET, desaturation shutdown, and I2-t fuse settings. Moreover, Analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) for monitoring the temperature-sensing thermistor voltage, output voltage, and MOSFET drain-source voltage are also integrated.
ST’s I2-t fuse provides superior fast-acting, resettable, and reliable over-current protection. Silicon fuses also help simplify vehicle wiring harnesses and reduce weight by eliminating user-accessible fuse boxes and the associated cabling and installation overheads.
Key Features of VNF1048F Controller
- High side switch Control IC with e-fuse protection for Automotive 12 V, 24 V and 48 V applications
- SPI slave interface for host control
- 32-bit ST-SPI interface compatible with 3.3 V and 5 V CMOS level
- 2 stage charge pump
- Gate drive for an external MOSFET in high side configuration
- Battery under-voltage shut-down
- External MOSFET desaturation shutdown configurable via SPI
- Hard short circuit latch-off configurable via SPI
- Current vs time latch-off configurable via SPI (fuse-emulation)
The VNF1048FTR controller is in production now and available in the QFN 32L 5mm x 5mm 32-lead package, from $1.77 for orders of 1000 pieces.