Watchy launched by SQFMI with support from Crowd Supply is a minimalistic E-Ink watch with a variety of cases to choose from, including bare-bones PCB, injection-molded plastic case, and anodized aluminum. This device uses both open source hardware and software and can be customized with 3D-printed cases and watch straps, enabling users to create unique timepieces. Moreover, this minimalist device offers both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy connectivity, allowing it to connect to BLE-enabled devices and internet APIs.
Watchy is built using an Espressif ESP32-PICO-D4 system-in-package, providing support for a range of development environment options including Arduino, MicroPython, Espressif’s ESP-IDF, and Zephyr-RTOS. It features an ultra-low-power e-paper display with 200 × 200 pixel resolution and delivers an always-on, beautiful, crisp image clearly visible under bright sunlight, and requires no power between updates.
Key Features and Specifications
- Ultra-low-power e-paper 1.54" display with 200 x 200 resolution and wide viewing angle
- Wi-Fi & Bluetooth LE connectivity
- 3-axis accelerometer with gesture detection
- Real-time clock for accurate time keeping with calendar and alarm functions
- Built-in USB-to-serial adapter for programming on the go
- Vibration motor for alerts
- Four tactile buttons
- Open source hardware & software
- Tons of examples & cool watch faces
- 3D case designs (stls) to customize your watchy (and watch straps)
- Injection-molded plastic case
In addition, it is a unique timepiece that is also a wearable development platform, allowing users to create their own experience.