In order to meet the size, power and performance requirements of Industry 4.0 applications, Maxim Integrated introduced an expanded family of digital input devices. One of the new devices, MAX22192 is integrated into the company’s Go-IO programmable logic controller (PLC) reference design.
As manufacturing becomes increasingly automated, there is a stronger need for real-time decision-making and feedback-loop mechanisms. These intelligent Industry 4.0 systems require digital input ICs inside the PLCs to receive on/off status signals. Yet, for ease of integration throughout manufacturing environments, the devices must be robust, high-performing and compact.
The expanded portfolio of IEC61131-2-compliant digital input devices offers a small solution size, features the lower power dissipation, is up to 6x faster and has robust performance (integrating 1kV of surge protection and integrated diagnostics). Moreover, they also include a parasitically powered digital input that reduces power dissipation and does not require a discrete isolated power supply.
The newest digital input devices include:
- MAX221908-channel octal digital input with Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI), accurate input current limiters, built-in surge protection of >1kV and wire break detection in a 5mm x 5mm package
- MAX22191 single-channel, parasitically powered digital input with accurate input current limiters and 250ns (max) propagation delay in a 2.8mm x 2.9mm package
- MAX22192 8-channel octal digital input with isolated SPI, wire break detection and accurate input current limiters in a 6mm x 10mm package
- MAX22195 high-speed octal digital input with parallel output and accurate input current limiters, 300ns (max) propagation delay, parallel interface, low power, low heat dissipation, fault tolerance with built-in diagnostics, configurability and a robust design in a 5mm x 5mm 32-TQFN package
These products enhance a digital IO family that also includes theMAX14912 and MAX14913 octal high-speed, switch/push-pull driver with integrated surge protection, diagnostics and fast/safe demagnetization; the MAX14914 universal digital IO with surge protection, high-side switch/push-pull driver/digital input and an SPI interface; and the MAX14483 6-channel, high-density, high-speed, low-power digital isolator optimized for daisy chained SPI applications.
- Smallest Solution Size: adds robust functionality to the PLC in a 50% smaller footprint than comparable solutions to empower adaptive manufacturing
- Reduced Power Dissipation: a parasitically powered digital input reduces power dissipation by up to 60 percent and does not require a discrete isolated power supply
- Most Robust Performance: all parts in the family have on-board diagnostics, while individual parts offer performance-enhancing features including:
- Built-in >1kV surge protection forincreased system robustness and the elimination ofeightexternal transient-voltage-suppression (TVS) diodes
- Extensive diagnostics such as open-wire/wire-break for increased factory uptime
- High Speed:
- 6xfaster digital inputs than industry alternatives
Availability and Pricing
The MAX22190, MAX22191, MAX22192 and MAX22195 are available at Maxim’s website for $2.73, $0.57, $5.22 and $2.20, respectively (1000-up, FOB USA); they are also available from authorized distributors.