The Arduino development team has announced its new Integrated Development Environment (IDE), Arduino 1.8.11. The new IDE now provides improved support for MAC OS X, by strictly following the OS X latest recommended security guidelines. Also, in this new release, the serial plotter gets a “send text” button allowing the user to send serial data to the board even while plotting. The community has also mentioned that they have updated AVR core to 1.82 and Wi-Fi Adapter to 0.10.10 and have also improved the sketch build time.
Under the hood, along with the above major improvements, the development team has also made the usual bugfixes and small improvements to the IDE and Builder which are listed below.
Arduino IDE 1.8.11 Improvements
- Serial Plotter does not hang anymore if empty lines are received
- GUI of Library and Board Managers have been improved for better accessibility
- Slightly Improved support for themes in Libs and Boards Managers
- Fix bracket match rectangle on the auto-format
- Pluggable discoveries: runtime.platform.path and runtime.hardware.path are now available as variables
Fix on Arduino Builder
- FIX: missed library-detection cache (forcing lib detection on each build)
- FIX: Windows: the build folder may reside on a different partition
- FIX: Segfault in Arduino-builder with -dump-prefs if no sketch is specified
- FIX: Allow loading of global user-defined platform.txt
- FIX: Fixed nil pointer exception on some rare case with multiple libs
- FIX: Print "multiple libraries found for header.h" message only when it really happens
- FIX: Fixed library priorities on some rare circumstances