Virtual Serial Monitor not working on MSP430

Hi,

I have been recently using the MSP430G2 launchpad through the Energia IDE. It was super easy to get started with Energia since I am from Arduino background, but I am not able to get my serial monitor to work on my machine. I have checked the following things

1. I am able to upload the code to MSP, even the blink code works fine. So my drivers are good and I have selected the right COM port.

2. I checked if the Rx and Tx pins are are in proper position

3. I also tried using other serial monitors like putty, but nothing helped.

Its strange that I am able to upload codes but can user the serial COM. Please help, I really miss the option for debugging.

I am using Windows 8.1 

Don't worry aswinth you are not alone, many people face this problem.

Just make sure if Rx and Tx pins are placed correctly, that is it should be in the opposite direction of the Reset, Test and Vcc pins. If you have already checked that and still if it is not working then problem is with your USB type

Sadly MSP430G2 works only on USB2.0. Check if you have any USB2.0 slots on your lap, if it does not have any it means a all the slots are USB3.0. You can easily find if the port is 2.0 or 3.0 by looking at the symbol printed near it. If it is written as "ss" near the symbol it means that it is a USB3.0 and if not it is USB2.0.

Find the USB2.0 slot and use it and it will work 

Joined April 17, 2018      120
Tuesday at 07:57 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. As you said I looked for the symbols near my USB ports and everything is written as "ss" near the USB symbol then I checked the specs and found that all the four USB ports on my laptop is USB3.0. I took the board to another Computer which has a USB2.0 and volah!!! it works just fine.

So the problem is with my USB3.0 USB ports. What is the solution for this I did not find any solution on the internet so far. Some people say that I can go back to USB3.0 by changing few things in the BIOS option is that a good idea?

I also read that microchip is trying to supports USB3.0 for MSP boards and hope it they do it soon...

Joined August 16, 2016      998
Tuesday at 12:29 AM