Trying to identify a jack similar to, but different from, a 1/8 headphone jack

Alan Zarky's picture


Joined: Jun 10, 2019

Replies: 0
Trying to identify a jack similar to, but different from, a 1/8 headphone jack
June 10, 2019 - 1:05am

I have a male/male cable between the sensor and the display on an old Nordic Track ski machine.  It's the same size as a 1/8 headphone jack, but the pictures I see of those have two or three black rings (I assume insulating different wires within the cable).  Mine has only 1 such ring, about one-third of the way from the stip toward the base.  I have a picture but don't see an option for adding an image here.  Can anyone give me the name of such a jack so I can try to find one (my cable seems to have broken internally)?  And any suggestions about a source would be welcome, too. 


Thank you very much.

Hiro_Hamada's picture


Joined: Apr 17, 2018

Replies: 119
It is a mono-channel audio jack
June 10, 2019 - 11:23am

The rings on a audio jack indicate the number of channels it supports. The below image shows the common types of jacks 


Note: Images can be uploaded using the image icon (IMCE) on the toolbar.

Since your jack has only one ring it means it is a monochannel audio jack, you can use the term to find one in your electronics shop or even use a jack that has two rings. If you are using the one with two rigns the you have to ignore one wire on the output side since your system will support only monochrome audio. You can use a multimeer to check for continuity and identitfy which wires corresponds to which sleeve