Contactless IR temperature sensor for Body Temperature scanning - MLX90614 Alternatives

Submitted by Ashutosh on Wed, 06/24/2020 - 22:13

Hey, I hope all you guys are safe during the COVID19 pandemic. As many might have noticed the current situation demands IR temperature screening devices and many hobbyists are doing a great job in building cool screening devices. I also have some ideas to try the major hurdle is with getting the contactless IR temperature sensor, which is no where to be found in local or on online.

One popular sensor that works for this application is the MLX90614 temperature sensor. But it is priced high and also availability is hard, so much hard that even mouser, and Digikey does not have stock them any more . So I created this thread to list and discuss the possible alternatives for MLX90614 and where it could be purchased from. 

PS: I am from India, so if you can point out options that would work here it would be great. 

You can also use MLX90615 if available. As these are in very high demand nowadays, alternativly you can also opt for any thermal cameras for do your job.

Joined August 22, 2019      125
Thursday at 12:29 PM

the mlx90615 has a smaller package than mlx90614 and the datasheet also mentions it has medical accuracy. So I think it is a better choice to mlx90614. As to where you can but this sensor, you can either contact Melexis directly or if you are working on prototype or testing you can also buy from online shops like this one

https://quartzcomponents.com/products/mlx90615-infrared-non-contact-temperature-sensor

As you mentioned the price is high because of current surge, but I think it will go down if you buy in volumes 

Joined August 16, 2018      42
Thursday at 11:31 AM

Hi guys, Thanks for the answer and sorry for getting back late. I will buy mlx90615 and test it out on how it works. But can anyone guide me on how to calibrate the sensor? 

The datasheet of MLX90615 says that it is factory calibrated. So does that mean it will work out of the box? Normally how do they calibrate sensors in products ?

Joined August 27, 2018      25
Monday at 04:18 PM