H bridge l298n in Parallel Burning Out After Some Time

Submitted by rodolfo on Tue, 12/03/2019 - 21:21

Hi Guys,

I have a college project where I need to controll a motor (27V / 3 A), I used a H Bridge l298n in parallel to support the current, It worked for while and then stop but I don't know what was wrong. Does any body know anthing that could help me?

The motor is a Maxon 118752 precision brush motor (20 Watts) operating at 27 V max. The motor offers a peak current of 3 A, with a maximum continuous current of 1.2 A.

Specs for the motor:
made-for-science.com/de/quanser/?df=made-for-science-quanser-2-dof-serial-flexible-joint-usermanual.pdf

My circuit design:

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.34.41 AM.png

Look at the specification of L293D IC. 

https://components101.com/l293d-pinout-features-datasheet

It can only support a maximum continous current of 600mA and a peak current of 1.2A. But your motors here have a continous current of 1.2A and peak current of 3A which is simply too much for your L293D IC to handel. So there is no suprise that your IC is burning. 

You should upgrade to the L298 Motor driver IC (also available as module), which can handle current upto 3A for your application 

https://components101.com/ics/l298-pin-configuration-features-datasheet

Joined August 11, 2018      35
Saturday at 01:52 PM

L298 is the perfect choice. Change the driver

Joined February 12, 2018      696
Monday at 02:11 PM

Hi Rodolfo, as per L298n datasheet, it can withstand upto 2 AMP current for a single drive, but in your case it exceeds, as your peak current is 3 AMPs, it seems that, this is reason for which your driver can't drive the motor.For cross checking the issue you can just replace the motor with a lower current rating DC motor and recheck and check if the problem persists!!! Hope it helps

Joined August 22, 2019      125
Thursday at 12:29 PM

Hey Parida, the OP has said that his motor is rated with a continuous current of 1.2A and peak current of 3A which can be handled by L298 IC. According to the IC datasheet 

L298 current rating.PNG

The IC can deliver continuous current of 2A which should be enough to drive a 1.2A motor 

Joined August 11, 2018      35
Saturday at 01:52 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the support, I made some changes and fully worked, I did a lot of tests and it worked perfectly.

Changes that I made:

- I Changed the diodes to Schottky switching diodes (1N5819 1A 40V).

- I Added two Rs Resistors (0.56 ohm 1W) on SENSE_A and SENSE_B.

- I Changed the heat sink that a had to a large one.

The Rs resistors is very importante step, because they will help divide the current more equally to the both bridge that are in parallel, just to make sure that one bridge is not receiving more current that can really handle. I think all the changes above made the project work.

I'm very thankful for you all support!

Joined December 03, 2019      1
Tuesday at 09:19 PM

Hi Rodolfo, Can you tell me how you use used the resistors Rs with Sense A and Sense B? I am also facing a similar problem, both my motors are not rotating in the same speed I think it is because they are getting different current values.

I would be great if you can show me a circuit diagram on how you done it.

Thanks!

Joined August 16, 2018      42
Thursday at 11:31 AM