looking for help identifying this component

Submitted by Robbie on Mon, 08/17/2020 - 03:04

Hello, I'm a newbie and enjoy tinkering with electronics. I have no training, just endless ambition. I do have a basic understanding of electronics and have built small projects, including stepper driver (kit) and various emulators from back in the dtv days..and mod chips in game consoles. so I can kinda read schematics, solder and use a multimeter.

I have a broken steam link ,made by valve, that I purchased from eBay. I can't find a schematic but I think I've narrowed down my problem to this component but there are no markings on it. It is the square thing left of the red dot. It's just up from the 5vdc power port. It has 4 soldered legs on the bottom and a bar symbol on the top.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!


The placement of the chip indicates that it is some sort of regulator chip but without a part-number, it's impossible to tell.

can you provide more information about the product?

  Joined December 02, 2019      117
Monday at 10:02 PM

That can be a MOSFET for Reverse polarity protection. However, can be a regulator also. The marking showing L52 where L stands for Inductors. Its creating confusion. Requires the pin count of the components to light up further.

  Joined February 12, 2018      696
Monday at 02:11 PM

Thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long to follow up. Below are 3 views from the sides I could access. If you look closely in the last 2 it appears there is copper wire coming from the bottom of the component. I'm not familiar with anything built like that. Maybe it's guts hanging out? When I put power to the input, that thing gets very hot immediately.




  Joined August 17, 2020      1
Monday at 02:37 AM

Now it definitely looks like an Inductor, if you have a LCR meter try testing the inductance, if you don't try testing the continuity.

  Joined December 02, 2019      117
Monday at 10:02 PM